Monday, January 12, 2015

The Digit-al Dozen DOES Fairy Tales, Day 1: The Tale of the Three Brothers (Harry Potter Nail Art)

Good evening, readers! I have 2 challenge posts to share with you tonight, so check back in a bit for my 13 Days of January mani. Right now, however, begins a new Digit-al Dozen week! The prompt is Fairy Tales and I've gone unconventional with Day 1. I was inspired by the fairy tale told to wizard children in Harry Potter called The Tale of the Three Brothers. 


 Harry Potter fans will recognize this story from the Deathly Hallows Part 1 film, where three brothers cheated Death by building a bridge with their wands and crossing it. There, they meet Death and he sneakily offers them a gift of their choosing (shown on my nails): The Elder Wand, The Resurrection Stone, and the Invisibility Cloak. "Two of the three brothers wished to conquer Death beyond what they had done already, and foolishly chose their gifts accordingly, leading to their early demise. The third brother was wiser, and hid under the Invisibility Cloak that allowed him to postpone death until he was ready; he lifted the veil that had helped him to evade the afterlife and was welcomed by Death." 
--source: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/The_Tale_of_the_Three_Brothers

Together, they are also known as The Deathly Hallows and I've shown their symbol on my pinky finger.

Here is a video I found of the tale on YouTube, in case you wanted to watch it. (This is not my video)

I used a few different polishes mixed together to get the weird base of this mani, but the Deathly Hallows were painted in OPI How Great Is Your Dane?



What do you think of this fairy tale inspired manicure? Are you a Harry Potter fan, or did you have no idea what The Tale of the Three Brothers was? Thanks so much for reading!



Pin It!

22 comments:

  1. I love these and adore the connection to Harry Potter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty and fun! This makes me really miss Harry Potter. I really want to read it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those background colors are spot on, love love love these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just sitting here Sunday night thinking I should have done a Harry Potter fairy tale! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Harry Potter and I LOVED that you were able to incorporate it into DD! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfection! And LOVE Harry Potter so it's a double win!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Harry Potter nail art! It's absolutely stunning and as huge fan I appreciate it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG I love that you did this! Great inspiration and it really looks like it did in the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is awesome. I love the texture you created - so much depth!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these nails, just like I love how this is told in the movies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My friend just showed me this clip this weekend! You did such a great job of representing it here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The base fits perfectly with the design - like the pages of an old fairy tale book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm totally a fan! I also thought they were stamping at first! Love love the background too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This mani looks super cool! I really love this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't even need to explain to you why I'm OBSESSED with this! :D Great work, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so cool! I got The Tales of Beedle the Bard as a gift several years ago and I loved reading it (Of course this one was told in the main HP books too but it was a cool extra to have!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd be in the 'have no idea' camp!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yesss! This is why I love you! Why didn't I think to do HP fairy tales!? Genius and so well executed!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This couldn't be any more perfect! A fairy tale inside one of the best book series ever - total win!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Perfection. This mani totally goes along with the animation!

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is just perfection - in love with all of it xx

    ReplyDelete