Saturday, August 11, 2012

Lime Crime Spun Sugar Nail Art and Swatches!

Hello, readers! I have a new polish brand to share with you today and a fun nail art technique I got to try out as well. These polishes were sent to me from Lime Crime and they are 7 pastel cremes with cute dessert themed names. 

The collection is called Les Desserts d'Antoinette and is described on their site as: "7 pastel shades, inspired by confectionary delights from Marie Antoinette's table. Recklessly pigmented crème formula is rich, smooth and opaque in just two coats. Each bottle comes equipped with a flat, wide brush for superb control and flawless application. Never tested on animals. 3-Free." 

First, let's see the Spun Sugar nail technique I tried out using all of the colors:




Here is a tutorial as an example of how to do this technique if you are wondering: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flOT8blujcA

This was a really messy design that required a lot of clean up and a lot of time. Doing this many colors took me about an hour a hand! I'm thinking that next time I'll do an accent nail instead. Also, top coat ruined the look so I had to leave it off.

Onto the Lime Crime polishes:
I love the frosty bottles with the unicorn logo! 

They all come in these cute individual boxes with name labels on the top as well!

Although they are marketed as two-coaters, I had a difficult time with application. Each of these are with 3 coats and they weren't as even as I'd be happy with. All shown without top coat. 

Parfait Day is a bubblegum pink and it was one of  the hardest for me to apply. It seemed that when I had enough polish on the brush to cover the entire nail, I'd start leaving ridges in it while evening it out. 

Peaches  Cream is a pastel orange and was also one of the hardest to apply evenly for me.

Crema De Limon surprised me by being one of the easier to apply. Normally, I find pastel yellows to be the hardest but this wasn't because it was a thinner formula. However, you can see a thin spot on the index finger where it didn't even out well.

Pastelchio is the brightest of the colors and I would call it almost neon instead of a pastel green. I love this color! It took some work to apply, though, and you can see on my index finger that there are still ridges from the application.


Once In A Blue Mousse was the easiest to apply and a really pretty robin's egg blue creme. Almost worked with 2 coats but I'm showing 3.

Lavendairy was another favorite of the colors for me but you can see the ridges from the brush again so it wasn't as smooth as the blue. 

Lastly, Milky Ways. To me, this looks like an orange toned off white creme. This was the base for the nail art mani at the beginning of this post. This is such an odd color to me, I don't see myself wearing it on it's own, but I think it worked well as the base color for all of the others.

So what do you think of these Lime Crime polishes? I have to say that I love love love the colors. They are wonderful for nail art and I can't wait to try out more combinations with them. I had trouble with the application so I honestly don't know how often I'd go through the trouble to use them as base colors or on their own. I will add, however, that the application was easier when your layers were completely dry before adding another coat. They seemed to level out as they dried and that left a better surface for the next layer. I also think that adding a layer of top coat would smooth out the look as well. I love their packaging and the flat brush as well. I am so glad they are Vegan Friendly, 3-free, and Cruelty Free.

Lime Crime can be purchased on their site HERE for $5.99 a polish, or $39.99 for the set of all 7. 

Which is your favorite color? Thanks for reading!

*These polishes were sent for me to review with my honest opinion.




Pin It!

21 comments:

  1. Once In A Blue Mousse is so pretty! I liked the result of your use of the Spun Sugar nail technique! It looked very cheerful and colorful! Have a good weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a cool mani! i love every sing one of those colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh I love this; the blend of all 7 colors really works for this design! Also, that's my video tutorial! So crazy, I had a little bit of a fangirl moment when I saw you linked it :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colors are very fresh looking and I can imagine them embellished in many ways. But a bit daunting to read of the difficulty in application.
    All in all; thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these colours. I wish they'd send them to me for review. xD I think they're fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These colors rock and your spun sugar mani is pure awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all gorgeous colors! It's hard for me to choose favorites. I love the design you did with them! That sucks about the difficult formula though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so in love with this Lime Crime series! Such pretty pastel colours, but they totally pop! Plus the bottles are adorable. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so pretty, they remind me colored icing for some reason lol. I love your spun sugar mani too, it's super cute. I really like Parfait Day and Lavendairy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are beautiful! Would love to see how those polishes work with stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like these colors together a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow this looks really cool even though it took so long! i just tried sugar spun and it did not really work for me i need to try again

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing nail art! Shame that the top coat ruins it though :/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these polishes, the more I see them the more I crave them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! They look like yummy treats!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these colors, though I'm sad they don't level out well. I think I'm still going to get these after my no buy month. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. FYI - Try putting your top coat on horizontally (in the same direction as your spun sugar stripes). It blends them a little bit, but smooths them out and makes for a super cool look :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. this looks awesome :)
    http://konadnails.blogspot.ro

    ReplyDelete
  19. woooow what a beautiful nails! totaly in love with your blog! i am so glad i found it ;) i wish i could get nailpolishes like this in my country...following you now ;) it would mean a lot to me if you would visit my blog and maybe follow me back ;)
    have a great day dear
    http://meandmycousin1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love all the colors! Have you thought about putting tape around your fingernails (not on the nail itself) so that when you're done with the sugar spun, you can peel off the tape with no mess on your hands?

    ReplyDelete